Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Take your paid search campaigns to the next level
Oct 18, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
For most advertisers, the process used to place bids has remained largely the same for the last 15 years. It is a complex, massively time- and data-intensive chore that can exceed the capabilities of human marketing teams.
- Study: full-page interstitials alienate users, send them racing for the X-it
Oct 18, 2016 by Greg Sterling
However, opt-in, contextually relevant video saw positive response from users.
- Instagram highlights Stories on Explore tab to boost viewership
Oct 18, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Stories appearing atop Instagram’s Explore tab will be curated from accounts you don’t already follow on Instagram.
- eBay Collective launches with “Shop the Look” AI technology
Oct 18, 2016 by Matt McGee
Curated furniture marketplace includes image recognition technology from recent Corrigon acquisition.
- Dear Google, how about OS targeting? Programmatic search?
Oct 18, 2016 by Kevin Lee
In light of the recent updates to device bidding in AdWords, columnist Kevin Lee suggests ways in which Google might build on these changes to make the platform even more valuable to advertisers.
- Perfect Your SEM Testing: How & Why To Evaluate Everything: SMX East 2016
Oct 18, 2016 by Aaron Levy
Looking for inspiration when it comes to designing and running tests in your PPC accounts? Columnist Aaron Levy recaps a session on this topic from SMX East 2016.
- Facebook will help mobile apps aim push notifications based on people’s in-app actions
Oct 18, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook will help mobile app developers aim their push notifications based on the actions people take in their apps, like searching or viewing a product.
- Three big, long-term predictions for the future of martech
Oct 18, 2016 by David Booth
Years from now, what will martech look like? Columnist David Booth takes a look at what the future holds for marketers.
- 7 marketing gimmicks that could damage your brand
Oct 18, 2016 by Timothy Carter
It’s one thing to be creative, but quite another when things take a turn for the worst. Contributor Timothy Carter discusses seven marketing gimmicks that have the potential to fail spectacularly and harm your brand.
- Will usability issues hinder Google Assistant, the star of Google’s new Pixel phone?
Oct 18, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Voice-only search might hinder use of Google Assistant and split attention between it and the search bar — which is now hidden behind a button.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Learn to Think Like a Data Scientist, adage.com
- With Accurate Measurement Facing So Many Challenges, Marketers Must Challenge Everything, adexchanger.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Male beauty bloggers are having a moment, digiday.com
- Vogue’s Takedown of Bloggers Offers Valuable Marketing Lessons, www.madmarketer.com
- Twitter trolls caused Salesforce to walk away from deal, Business Insider
- 20 Online Marketing Tools to Rely on From Start to Finish, www.komarketingassociates.com
- 52 Ways to Make the Most of Your Content Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How to Create Eye-Catching and Effective Headlines, www.marketingprofs.com
- How to Turbocharge Your Social Media Scheduling In 5 Steps, www.jeffbullas.com
- Six Content Marketing Principles You Shouldn’t Be Ignoring (but Probably Are), www.marketingprofs.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 6 UX trends from Shop.org Retail’s Digitial Summit, www.usertesting.com
- GoDaddy Says Its Latest Feature Will Make it Much Easier to Launch Your WordPress Site, smallbiztrends.com
- User Onboarding: A Comprehensive Guide, usabilitygeek.com
- Google open sources the code that powers its domain registry, techcrunch.com
- Small Businesses and Investors Losing Domains in Flawed UDRP Decisions, domainnamewire.com
- 5 ways to bring your store into the future, www.retaildive.com
- Creating a Winning Omnichannel Experience, multichannelmerchant.com
- Social Markup for eCommerce Sites Made Easy, www.goinflow.com
- 4 Ways to Beef Up an Email Subscriber List, www.practicalecommerce.com
- The Email Habits of White-Collar Workers, www.marketingprofs.com
- Understanding Email Anti-spam Laws in U.S., Canada, E.U., www.practicalecommerce.com
General Internet Marketing
- B2B Personalization: It Don’t Mean A Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing, www.cmswire.com
- Internet mysteries: Where does the disappearing ad dollar go?, digiday.com
- Making Memes Work For Your Online Marketing, www.searchenginepeople.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Google natively integrates Shareaholic with Google Tag Manager, blog.shareaholic.com
- How Our Next-Generation Editor Takes Email Marketing to the Next Level, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Machine-Learning Powered Marketing Personalization Innovation Unveiled By Nielsen Marketing Cloud in Collaboration with RevTrax, www.nielsen.com
- Sell Smarter on Google Shopping with New App Built by Google, www.bigcommerce.com
- Tailwind Acquires PinAlerts and Oh So Pinteresting Blog, blog.tailwindapp.com
- Leanplum Raises $29M Series C Round Led By Canaan Partners, PR Newswire
- Linking Technology with Creative – How Brands Best Connect with Their Customers, www.martechadvisor.com
- MarTech Marriage: How Key Integrations Amplify Marketing ROI, www.martechadvisor.com
- Swiftpage Launches SMS4Act!, an Outbound SMS App for Act! Powered by MessageMedia, PR Newswire
- 3 Mobile App Marketing Lessons, blog.marketo.com
- 4 Big Local Marketing Trends – Plus 8 Ways to Adapt, www.wordstream.com
- Combining affinity with proximity is key to location-based marketing, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Facebook Testing Data Saver Feature for Messenger, www.adweek.com
- Platform publishing presents challenges to publishers’ mobile design, digiday.com
- 5 Twitter Browser Extensions for Marketers, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- An Analysis of Top Social Media Platforms for Influencer Marketing, www.amnavigator.com
- Facebook is now testing its Snapchat Stories clone in Australia, techcrunch.com
- Facebook Now Lets You Set the Initial View on 360-Degree Photos, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Tips and Tricks to Work It’s Magic for Your WordPress Site, www.wpexplorer.com
- Facebook Trends Beauty and Food Marketers Need to See Before Crafting Their Next Offers, www.adweek.com
- Facebook’s Storyful-powered newswire service shutting down on October 18, venturebeat.com
- Here’s How Brands Are Cashing In on Snapchat’s Long-Awaited API, www.adweek.com
- How Snapchat, Tinder Can Better Serve Advertisers, www.adweek.com
- My Facebook ROAS has increased (or decreased) – what now?, 3qdigital.com
- The 5 Most Common Kinds of Dark Social Content, simplymeasured.com
- The Beginner’s Guide to Social Attribution, simplymeasured.com
- The retailer’s guide to holiday social advertising, www.internetretailer.com
- Why This Successful Solopreneur Uses Facebook Groups to Grow His Business, blog.bufferapp.com
- 7 Mistakes to Avoid When Making a Product Video (Learned the Hard Way), www.scribblelive.com
- 8 Advanced Tactics for Optimizing Facebook Video Ads to Perfection, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Facebook Live unlocks scheduling and pre-stream lobby, first for verified Pages, techcrunch.com
- How to Analyze Your YouTube Marketing With Google Analytics, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Infographic: 4 things to know about the present and potential of live video, digiday.com
- Sharethrough’s Patrick Keane: Publishers without video strategies “will die”, digiday.com
- Signal to Now Include Live Video For Journalists, media.fb.com
- Why Mobile Video Should Be Included in Your Content Marketing Strategy, www.copypress.com
- Working Together to Improve the Premium Video Ad Experience, adage.com